Tug On This
Thursday, September 15, 2005
  Murphy 1991 - 2005


Originally uploaded by Tug.
Murphy came into my life on a beautiful and Sunny day in September of 1991.

I was a senior in college and my Drake soccer team had driven down to Kansas City -- my hometown -- for a game against Rockhurst. As I recall, the details of memory are often sketchy, we lost the game 3-2. I played sparingly, the Coach was "rebuilding" for the future and myself and a couple of other seniors saw precious little playing time that year. It was unfortunate that I had played so little, for both my brothers and my Mom had come to the game. Hey, I figured, at least they'll have a care package for me.

And what a care package it was.

After we had emerged from the locker room, my family was all standing around in the parking lot with a new member of the family. A tiny red ball of fur no bigger than a loaf of bread. "Tug," my Mother said, "this is Murphy. He's your college graduation present."

Now, as I stated earlier, I was really just into the beginnings of my senior year, and while I was on track to graduate on time that May (which I did) you still don't normally get graduation gifts 9 months before the fact. But that's my Mom, unconventional to say the least.

The way she figured it, she'd take Murphy for the school year and get him house-trained and all that crap (with a focus on dog crap) while I was finishing up at school, then, when I came home -- there here would be for me.

And there he was.

For the past 14 years, Murph has been a best friend, a companion and a pain in the neck (and parts lower). He has been a barker, a whiner, a heavy breather, a snorer, a puss and a pillow. He has had goopy eyes, has worn the lampshade, has been on a chain, a leash and in a number of big, green yards. He has had trouble with wood floors, with linoleum, with decks and with stairs. He has slept with me, near me or all the way downstairs from me. He has been called Murphy, Murph, Fee, Phlaah, Mr. Furry Pants, Mr. Furry Pantalones and Mr. Furry Lederhosen. He has been the Shaggy D.A. and has had the summer cut. He has run after balls, sticks and bones. He has swum in baby pools and in ponds and even once, in a lake. He has sniffed other dogs, has eaten dirty underwear and once had a big thing for stinky socks. He has licked my face, my friends' faces, my loved ones' faces and other dogs' faces. He was gentle as a feather to my two infant sons Sean and Nick, was a wonderful friend to my wife Sarah and was ever faithful to me.

Unfortunately, the past few years he has also had bad hips, a bad back, a tumor on his side and other issues with his digestion and general heath that I won't go into here. Yesterday, we awoke to find that Murph's back-half was paralyzed. His hind legs were as stiff and staight as reeds, and they were utterly uncontrollable. I kept on trying to get him to stand up, but he simpy couldn't. All the time though, that his body was giving out on him, he stayed Murph. He wagged his tail till the end, friends. He wagged his tail to the end.

To add to all this, he also hadn't been drinking water for two or three days and yesterday, wouldn't eat. Even from Sarah's hand. We took him to our excellent vet, Dr. Brock Exline, who, thankfully, didn't judge us or try to tell us that he could fix this. So, the proper medications were procured, and we pet and held him for the last moments of his life.

And then, at the last moment -- I promise you that this is true -- he lifted his head off the floor, put it on my knee, looked into my eyes and sighed. Then he lay down and went to eversleep.

We stayed with him for a few more moments. Then slowly got up, dried our eyes and walked away.

I love you Murphy. Now and forever you are my best boy.

Go, run now and fetch a ball.
 
Comments:
Tug, you have my sincerest condolences. I lost my dog, Buster, when I was 16. He was my only brother growing up, and the day we buried him out at the lake is still fresh in my mind seven years later.
 
My husband somehow found your blog while blog surfing. He forwarded this on to me. We have a sweet dog (Belle) who is 4 years old and she has already brought so much joy to our lives. (and our daughters)The story of Murphy brought tears to my eyes and rememberances of my dog growing up. Thanks for sharing his story.
 
my sister forwarded this blog to me...she's the anonymous before me...i too have a golden retriever and know exactly what you are talking about when you tell Murphy's story. what incredible dogs they are. i'm at work reading this with tears running down my cheeks. thank you so much for sharing his story. take care...
 
oh, tug.

i have no shame in admitting that my eyes got weepy when i read your email at work. i have none in admitting that i couldn't bring myself to read it then because i knew i would break down. i am so sad for your loss, but so happy that you had your time with murphy. i, as you know, have marley. i don't have a nick or a sean, so marley plays the role of child as well as best friend. i've often said that the day i have to face what you have so courageously, i won't be the same man you are. i won't be able to come to work the next day. or maybe even the day or two that follow that. they are so special, aren't they? unconditional love. the one thing we humans aspire to, but just can't quite reach. they are special, special creatures...be they dogs, cats, birds, fish, turtles...whatever. all i could do today at work was give you a little hug. i didn't want to say anything because i was certain how we both my respond. you are in my thoughts, my prayers, my poems, my songs, my everything right now. murphy was lucky. very. don't think for a second he didn't get just as much as he gave. you were his good friend, too. his unconditional love. just know that i'm thinking of you, brother. and i'm here if you want or need anything.
 
Tugster, I've always thought you had a heart as big as a barn. Now, I realize I'm a poor judge of size. Your heart is closer to the size of Montana. Murphy wasn't just a good boy. He was a lucky boy.
 
Tug:

I'm so sorry to hear it. Your dog is a saint and thank god you and Sara were there for the beatification.

Whitmann will miss his bro, and partner in the Great Escape of 1995.
 
ahhhhh Murphy I can still hear the stampeding of that mangy pooch running around me at 5 f****n am with a pair of my stinky socks in his mouth while sweet Patty screams "Murphy enough with the f****n socks, put down the damn socks". oh the memories.

The last time I saw Murphy he was a smelly wreck. That's right you forgot to mention that he had bad breath and no inhibitions. He licked you just the same, dragon breath or not.

I read your little story about that pooch and I'm no dog lover. But christ almighty your little eulogy made me a little wet below the eyes. Either you're a good writer or I had soft spot for that dog who like you is a public nuisance.

Hank
 
tug,

I read this early this morning (sunday) and it brought back the memories of my own dog sammy and all the fun I had with him and how painful it was when he left. I had close to the very same experince as you. sammy had an enlarged heart and it withered his big 120 body down to 60 pounds. Wouldn't even eat steak.

sammy was my boy, my son. I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Whether it's on this blog or AC. I either learn or laugh everytime I read/listen. Now I have cried as well.

I miss you, JJ and the Brazilian freak show. I wish I hadn't bailed to Chitown so fast after graduation, but hey, everone is a superstar in their own mind. To bad the rest of the world doesn't see it that way or we'd all have our own reality show.

Anyway man, I'm sure Murph is up in dog heaven chewin' on a pair of your stinky socks right now, hopefully not the love sock. Nothing can ever replace him but those memories will last forever and someday you will see him again.

I like to think that sammy will be one of the first to greet me when I kick off.

take care of you and yours,
j.fortune
 
Tug, I wept as I read your wonderful story about Murphy. I have a little rat terrier named Flash and a big black boxer/lab named Black Betty (bam a lam). They are lights in my eyes. My heart is with you. Seth's mom, Ellen
 
your boat captain tug blog is great thanks
 
Tug, I know how hard that sucks. I lost my pal almost three years ago now, and not too many days go by when his name isn't mentioned. When Cassius passed my wife said, "You gave him a great life." I'm sure you did the same for Murph.
 
Tug,
Our animals teach us how to play, laugh and love. Murphy taught you how to be a friend and caring father. He was a blessing in your life and was put there for a reason. I sent you something in the mail via your mother. please make sure you get it. you are in my thoughts alway. I love you
Your Aunt
Susie
 
An old friend directed me to your blog sometime ago. This post inspired me to write. I could have told a similar story just one month ago. Our beloved 8 1/2 year old Golden, Simon, passed, due to a broken back, which caused his paralysis. His back degenerated as a result of a growing tumor. As difficult as it was, we know he is finally at peace. We knew we would miss him and anticipated the girls being sad. Just never the level of sadness. Hayley, 7, didn't even want to return to school come Monday. Emily, 3, still wants him back. A great companion indeed. While we have added another dog to our family, Simon holds that special place in all of our hearts, especially as we fill our glasses with ice each night. I feel for you all. Thanks for sharing.
Cyndy
 
Tug, Sarah, Nick & Sean
My sincerest condolences go out to you. When my first dog died when I was 8 years old, I thought I was so unlucky that my dog died. I wondered why dogs couldn't live as long as people. You'd get a dog, and it would be your companion for life. Later on it occured to me that we are both lucky. From puppies to adulthood they give their undying loyality to their human(s). And if their lucky, like Murph, they leave us with their head in the lap of the one who made them the happiest throughout their life.

And we're lucky, because at some point in time we find that next little ball of fur - and we begin the same wonderful, aggravating, rewarding journey all over again.

As you know, Kirby - one of my dogs, currently has 2 forms of cancer (lymphoma and another). He has been sucessfully fighting the lymphoma for almost 3 years, but he is begining to show signs that his body is starting to lose the battle. I forsee a day in the not-so-distant future, where I will have a similar moment like you did with Murph. I can only hope that it will be as peaceful as it was for you.

My thoughts are with you and your family. I feel lucky that I knew Murph for as long as I did.

Peter
 
This made me cry and I am sorry for the loss of your Murphy. I too lost a dog a couple years back. My Katie, who I adopted from the dog pound by some abusive jerk and gave me 3 wonderful years of her life until she passed on from Cancer.

I have 4 dogs now. You can see them in my blog.
 
Aw. Tug. I hadn't had a chance (with screaming and beating the crap outta Jack to get him to pay attention to the soccer ball and all...) to tell you how sorry I am. Murph was a good boy, the best boy, indeed. He'll be missed.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Mainly I've been driving. Alfa Romeo. First to four in under sixty. Seconds. Gears. Dig it.

Name:
Location: Kansas City, Missouri, United States
ARCHIVES
December 2004 / January 2005 / February 2005 / March 2005 / April 2005 / May 2005 / June 2005 / July 2005 / August 2005 / September 2005 / October 2005 / November 2005 / December 2005 / February 2006 / March 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / May 2007 / July 2007 / December 2007 /


Powered by Blogger